Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Sun at High Altitude

I just returned from the Seminar of the Century in Snowmass, Colorado. It's about 9,000 feet above sea level there and I spent 3 days on the mountain sitting in the hot blazing sun. I started on the first day to apply sunscreen every 2 hours. While I did not burn, I did discover a few spots I had not covered very well. So on the second day I started applying the sunscreen every hour. On the third day there was a hazy overcast - not the clear intense sun of the previous 2 days, but probably more serious situation for burning. I continued to apply sunscreen every hour and excaped without being burned and damaging my skin. I was also wearing a hat and realized on the second day that I needed to apply extra sunscreen to the lower half of my face. The reason was the angle that we were sitting and the direction, early in the day the sun was still hitting the lower part of my face. While I did not burn, there is one more bit of advice I would give you. Be sure to keep the skin moisturized well after such types of exposure. I may not have burned, but I did dehydrate the skin and it requires moisture. When you moisturize, use something that is water soluble not oils. I will speak more about that tomorrow.

No comments: