Friday, June 25, 2010

Peanut Butter

I have for many years told my diabetics that they could use a little peanut butter for breakfast to get some protein with their meal. While this is still sound advice, there is more to peanut butter and other nut butters for that matter.

Many people worry about the caloric content. The key word to be aware of here is moderation. I once recommended peanut butter to my brother and he ate half a jar the first time he had some. I had to say, no, no - just 2 tablespoons a day - that is equivalent to one serving.

Nut butters contain lots of good nutrients like unsaturated fats which can help actually lower cholesterol levels. If you're allergic to peanuts, try almond or cashew butter. These not only taste great but have valuable nutrients in them.

No comments: