Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Playing An Instrument Can Be More Than A Mental Workout

We all know that music is really about our inner being. So playing an instrument can be not only good for that inner being but also for the physical being as well. I have played the piano since I was 6 and played handbells for the last 18 years. While I didn't always expend a lot of energy playing the piano the mental energies were always beneficial.

In playing handbells, I often work up a sweat if the music is challenging or difficult or if I am ringing a lot in quick succession. I was playing with a small group the other day and we were working on a fairly difficult piece and I found myself removing my sweater, so I know I was burning a lot of calories even though I was not moving my legs.

Well now I have a new challenge and a new way to exercise with bells. I am being given the opportunity to ring the big bells in the top of the City and County Building in Denver between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There are only 10 bells, but I figure it will be a good workout!

No comments: