Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Water

I recently ran across an article about water tasting. When I thought about that for a minute, I remembered that the water in the town where my mother lives is actually quite bad. We always filter it because it tastes so bad otherwise. Interestingly, 30 miles away at her cabin in the north woods, the water is from a well and tastes very refreshing.

Arthur von Wiesenberger is an expert in water tasting and there is even an international competition! Von Wiesenberger assesses water quality via four categories Which I'll cover over the next couple of days.

The first is appearance. Obviously, the clearer the better. I have been places where the water out of the tap was cloudy. Needless to say we didn't drink it. If the color is brownish-red, it may mean there is a lot of iron in the water. If the color is green, it may mean there is algae in the water.

You can look at different waters in clear drinking glasses by holding them up to a light. The light should come through as if there is nothing in the glass.

No comments: