Thursday, February 5, 2009

Valerian

Someone asked the other day about taking valerian. I did a little research and found that it is more likely to be prescribed in Europe than Xanax or Valium. While I was aware of valerian's sedative effect, I had not thought of it as a substitute for these anti-anxiety drugs.

The actual mechanism of how valerian works is not clear. However, it has been around for centuries. Valerian is particularly helpful when one is unable to fall asleep because of anxious about something. Valerian has a calming effect without making you feel like you have been sedated with a drug.

I would certainly use caution with this herb in terms of when you take it. If you are going to be driving or operating any kind of equipment, I would not recommend taking it. I have used this herb when we have traveled and been in a different bed and place and I want to get a good night's sleep. It works wonderfully for this!

No comments: