Friday, December 5, 2008

Vitamin D and Sunshine

As I mentioned yesterday, there are times when we can't get vitamin D from sunshine. Of course, the most obvious is if there is cloud cover. While there is light, it is not at the wave length that it will produce Vitamin D in the skin. So if you live in a mostly cloudy area, you will need to supplement with Vitamin D.

Along those same lines, the use of sunscreen with SPF of 8 or higher will block the UV rays that produce vitamin D. I am not advocating that you not use sunscreen. What I am saying is that you may want to give yourself 10 minutes of sun before you apply the sunscreen. Just know that the sunscreen does block the production of vitamin D.

Also if you have darker skin, you will need more sun light to produce the right amount of vitamin D. Darker skin still requires sunscreen because sun burn is still an issue.

Also keep in mind that during the winter months, the only part of us that is usually exposed is our face. I use a sunscreen on my face year around, so I have to consciously get some sun exposure on the warm days to my arms, but I know it is not enough, so I supplement my vitamin D.

No comments: