Sunday, June 21, 2009

Biofeedback

Biofeedback is something that I have found to work very effectively. When I was having migraines I found that my hands were very cold along with my feet. Migraines are very often vascular in nature and what was happening within my body was a large amount of vasoconstriction. By using biofeedback, I was able to use the power of my subconscious mind to some of the automatic functions of the body. Some of the functions you can control are things like blood pressure, pulse rate, stress response, skin temperature and brain waves.

Biofeedback fits in with meditation, because it requires you to concentrate, controlling your thoughts while you watch a measurement. In my case, I would hold a thermometer in my fingers. By controlling my thoughts and seeing the blood vessels open in my hands like big pipes, the temperature of my hands and fingers would rise. I could actually see this with the thermometer.

Other types of biofeedback can actually show tension in a muscle and you can watch as you relax the muscle the tension decreases.

No comments: