Saturday, April 18, 2009

Computer Vision Syndrome

You have probably heard that you should look away from your computer every 10 minute for about 20 seconds or so. While you do this you should blink forcefully several times to help keep your eyes moist. You can also use some liquid tears to help keep the eyes moist or use a humidifier in the room where you are working. Keep in mind that many work places are exceptionally dry and may make this problem worse.

When you look away from the computer, don't consider looking at a document that you are typing as looking away. My computer is near a window, so I look out at the trees and houses across the street. I also sometimes just close my eyes for a few seconds to give them a rest. This also helps lubricate them as well. I am a contact wearer, so my eyes tend to be dryer than most people, so I use wetting solution to keep them moist if I am going to be at the computer for many hours.

No comments: